1 large onion, peeled & diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 cup carrots, peeled & sliced into ¼ inch rounds
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1 quart chicken or vegetable stock (divided)
2 cups cooked fresh pumpkin or canned
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup light cream, half & half, or milk
1. Sauté onions, celery, & carrots in oil until onions and celery soften — about 5 minutes
2. Add 2 cups chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for about ten minutes, or until the carrots are tender. Remove from heat.
3. To a blender add:
1 cup cold chicken stock, 1 cup cold cooked pumpkin (fresh or canned), ½ of the cooked onion, celery, & carrots, cover and blend until smooth – about 30 – 45 seconds. You may have to stop the blender and scrape the sides. Pour into a 3 quart pan.
4. Add remaining cup of chicken stock and pumpkin to the blender, then add the remaining cooked onions, celery, carrot mixture and blend on high until smooth. Add to blended ingredients in pan.
5. Add: cinnamon and ground cloves. Stir well and heat on high until bubbling.
6. Add: 1 cup of light cream, half and half, or milk. Heat until hot, but do not boil.
Serve with crusty garlic bread and cheddar cheese for a quick hearty autumn supper.